Disclaimer: About This Blog

THIS BLOG IS: my personal journey of how I am rethinking some of my spiritual beliefs.
THIS BLOG IS NOT: intended to point fingers at people who I think are wrong.
I do not believe the final judgement will be based on how many correct answers we get on a theology exam. I believe many people throughout history have had genuine relationships with God, despite holding questionable beliefs and practices. I make no claim to having it all figured out or being your judge. If we end up disagreeing over these topics I pray we can find a way to demonstrate grace.

Sunday, December 22, 2013

Unity Example #2 Charity At Christmas


I want to highlight some examples of Christian Unity. I have a few ideas to start with. If anything else comes to mind please let me know.

With Christmas approaching I want to celebrate the shared emphasis on charity this time of year.

It seems Christians from all tradition encourage giving food, money,  or other kinds of help to people who are poor, sick, or in some form of need.

Many of the acts of charity have grown into larger charitable organizations that help connect givers with those in need. For example World Vision, Compassion, Samaritan's Purse and Operation Christmas Child, Salvation Army, local food banks and shelters for homeless... the list could go on.

I also want to highlight the simple acts of charity that Christians do individually: Giving gifts of food or clothing to someone in need. Inviting someone in need over for a meal. Helping an elderly neighbor, or someone who is sick.  It would be impossible to list all the examples of this, since much of it is done quietly and without any press coverage. 

I just want to celebrate that all Christ followers agree that Charity is a Christian thing to do, especially at Christmas.

Remember the words of the Lord Jesus, how he himself said, ‘It is more blessed to give than to receive.’   Acts 20:35

No comments: