Disclaimer: About This Blog

THIS BLOG IS: my personal journey of how I am rethinking some of my spiritual beliefs.
THIS BLOG IS NOT: intended to point fingers at people who I think are wrong.
I do not believe the final judgement will be based on how many correct answers we get on a theology exam. I believe many people throughout history have had genuine relationships with God, despite holding questionable beliefs and practices. I make no claim to having it all figured out or being your judge. If we end up disagreeing over these topics I pray we can find a way to demonstrate grace.

Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Kingdom Of God Coming With Power

I am continuing my series on the secrets of the kingdom, taking a look today at Mark 9:1 (NIV)
"And he said to them, “I tell you the truth, some who are standing here will not taste death before they see the kingdom of God come with power.”
I wonder if some who were standing there listening to Jesus thought of the song "it's the end of the world as we know it". Did they connect this reference to some final age where they would all go up to heaven to live for eternity? I suspect if Jesus spoke these words today, some would be tweeting similar thoughts.


Mark 9 verse 2 continues with the transfiguration story...
"After six days Jesus took Peter, James and John with him and led them up a high mountain, where they were all alone. There he was transfigured before them.  His clothes became dazzling white, whiter than anyone in the world could bleach them.  And there appeared before them Elijah and Moses, who were talking with Jesus."
So some who had been standing there in verse 1 did see the power of God come with power, they witnessed the King in His kingdom.

 I also think of the power of God coming on the day of Pentecost a few years later.

Can you think of other examples where the kingdom of God was visible and its power evident?  

Have you experienced times in your own life where God's power felt near, and His reign felt close?

What do you think Jesus was talking about here?
I'd love to hear your thoughts.

3 comments:

Frank said...

I don't think that the Jews had any thoughts about all going up to heaven to live for eternity. That is a peculiarly churchy notion.

If you look at Acts 1v6 "......Lord, will you at this time restore again the kingdom to Israel." it is clear that the Jews believed that the Kingdom of God coming with power would be a Jewish Messiah King reigning on Earth, after throwing the Romans out. That is the obvious context of their question.
This verse is also the one which is falsely used to teach that it is wrong to seek God or scripture for a date. When Jesus said "It is not for you to know...." it was in answer to their specific question, and quite clearly it was not for THEM to know.
Sort of, "wrong question, wrong time, guys!"
They were right that their king would reign on earth, from Jerusalem, but not for a very very long time.
And we and they shall reign with Him on earth.

Jonathan said...

Thanks Frank. Yes that is likely what most of the listeners were thinking.

I find it interesting how they, like us, often didn't get what Jesus was getting at - but rather hear what they wanted to hear.

Frank said...

Jon,
I think one of the best and simplest illustrations of the Kingdom of God coming in Power, is in Matthew 12v28".....but if I drive out demons by the Spirit of God, then has the kingdom of God come upon you."

Jesus, having declared repeatedly that the kingdom of heaven is nigh unto us, went on to show exactly how nigh it was. By casting demons out and healing all who came to him, each time was an illustration of heaven being nigh or even coming upon us.

Churches go to great lengths to convince people of the truth of their message. If only they did what Jesus did, they would not need to convince people of Heaven, they would be able to witness its dominion over the earth.

I know that each time I cast demons out of people, their appreciation of the proximity of the heavenly realm rockets.