Disclaimer: About This Blog

THIS BLOG IS: my personal journey of how I am rethinking some of my spiritual beliefs.
THIS BLOG IS NOT: intended to point fingers at people who I think are wrong.
I do not believe the final judgement will be based on how many correct answers we get on a theology exam. I believe many people throughout history have had genuine relationships with God, despite holding questionable beliefs and practices. I make no claim to having it all figured out or being your judge. If we end up disagreeing over these topics I pray we can find a way to demonstrate grace.

Thursday, September 13, 2012

Kingdom Like Seed Growing

I am continuing my series on the secrets of the kingdom.

He also said, “This is what the kingdom of God is like. A man scatters seed on the ground.  Night and day, whether he sleeps or gets up, the seed sprouts and grows, though he does not know how.  All by itself the soil produces grain—first the stalk, then the head, then the full kernel in the head.  As soon as the grain is ripe, he puts the sickle to it, because the harvest has come.” (Mark 4:26-29 NIV)

This is a timely personal reminder for where we find ourselves. We have a tendency to try to plan and control the service that we feel God leading us into. But we don't need to do all the work.  Sometimes we try to plan and control everything.  Here we see that a farmer has to do some of the work. He needs to plant, and he needs to harvest.  But the complex miraculous growth that occurs is out of the control of the farmer.

We can be reminded of this truth. God's kingdom is well... God's kingdom.  He will ask us to participate in working in His fields, but He won't expect us to do it all.  We can expect God to do the amazing parts.


No comments: