Disclaimer: About This Blog

THIS BLOG IS: my personal journey of how I am rethinking some of my spiritual beliefs.
THIS BLOG IS NOT: intended to point fingers at people who I think are wrong.
I do not believe the final judgement will be based on how many correct answers we get on a theology exam. I believe many people throughout history have had genuine relationships with God, despite holding questionable beliefs and practices. I make no claim to having it all figured out or being your judge. If we end up disagreeing over these topics I pray we can find a way to demonstrate grace.

Saturday, January 21, 2012

Eunuchs for the Kingdom


Should people get married? I'm taking a look at Matt 19:8-12 as I go through verses related to the secrets of the kingdom.

Interesting timing. We just watched a movie last night that sort of dealt with this topic. The couple in the movie was surrounded by poor examples of faithful marriages. They ended up concluding that the concept of marriage was a farce. They ended up making a promise or vow to each other that basically went like this:

I promise to love you for as long as we are in love.

That is the type of love they saw practiced around them. But it was really not much of a promise or commitment at all.

So then to the text I'm looking at this morning.

Some of the disciples were questioning Jesus if it was worth getting married in Matt 19:8 - 12 (HCSB).
He told them, “Moses permitted you to divorce your wives because of the hardness of your hearts. But it was not like that from the beginning. And I tell you, whoever divorces his wife, except for sexual immorality, and marries another, commits adultery.”

His disciples said to Him, “If the relationship of a man with his wife is like this, it’s better not to marry!”

But He told them, “Not everyone can accept this saying, but only those it has been given to. For there are eunuchs who were born that way from their mother’s womb, there are eunuchs who were made by men, and there are eunuchs who have made themselves that way because of the kingdom of heaven. Let anyone accept this who can.”

Can you accept this saying?

It was common for eunuchs to play special roles in earthly kingdoms. Eunuchs didn't have divided loyalties between family and kingdom. In a similar way some are called to be this way and play unique roles in God's kingdom. Paul later becomes one of these examples.

Can you be like a eunuch and go without family relations?

If not, I think Jesus is implying it is best for you to get married, and be faithful in your marriage.

No comments: