Disclaimer: About This Blog

THIS BLOG IS: my personal journey of how I am rethinking some of my spiritual beliefs.
THIS BLOG IS NOT: intended to point fingers at people who I think are wrong.
I do not believe the final judgement will be based on how many correct answers we get on a theology exam. I believe many people throughout history have had genuine relationships with God, despite holding questionable beliefs and practices. I make no claim to having it all figured out or being your judge. If we end up disagreeing over these topics I pray we can find a way to demonstrate grace.

Sunday, September 18, 2011

Kingdom Like Yeast

Continuing my series on the secrets of the kingdom. The secrets of the kingdom of God have been given to us (Matthew 13:11). Jesus came to share this kingdom message (Luke 4:43). So I'm examining different passages related to this kingdom message.


Matthew 13:33 (HCSB)

"He told them another parable: "The kingdom of heaven is like yeast that a woman took and mixed into 50 pounds of flour until it spread through all of it."

Reading different commentators on this one there is a range of thought on what Jesus is saying here. Some take the position that yeast is representing sin spreading in the church. It is true that in many other passages yeast is used to describe the way sin or bad things spread, but I don't see the yeast being a bad thing here.

In this parable the woman put yeast into the flour on purpose. She then mixed it into the flour on purpose. I think she wanted the yeast to spread throughout the flour and change it. And it did. It was a good thing. The kingdom of heaven is like that yeast. Jesus shared the message of the good news of the kingdom of heaven, and the reign of God has been spreading through the world ever since. At a personal level, I sense the reign of God growing in my life as well.

I pray that God's kingdom come, that His will be done, here on earth as it is in heaven. I pray His reign will be evident in my life, and that His rule would continue to spread in my life and in the world around us.

No comments: