Please you must agree with me.
If you are a follower of Jesus you must agree that unity is essential. (click link for some verses you must agree with).
You must agree that love is essential. (click link for some verses you must agree with).There are a bunch of other things I'm sure we agree on. (See Clarification post: What is essential?)
And I'm sure there are a bunch of topics I'm sure we disagree about.
I agree that you will disagree with me on lots of stuff. But please agree with me that love and unity are essentials to following Jesus.
Before we start our next debate, let's pause first and recognize that we share a bond of unity, based on God's love for us. God's presence in our lives is made visible by the love we have for God and each other... even when we disagree about some other stuff.Are factions/divisions/denominations/labels building up or tearing apart Christ's church?
Have we elevated some issues that could be non-essentials to a point higher than our call to unity and love?Have we emphasized agreement to our understanding of complex truths more than emphasizing the simple truths of love and unity?
So, how does it work?
First, feel free to comment on this post as normal. You can leave any comment that you’d like.
However, if you want to write the next post in this chain blog (that is, the next “link” in the “chain” of posts), then be the first to leave a comment on this post saying that you want to write the next post. (If someone else has already claimed the next post, then simply wait to comment on that next post and say that you want to write the one following that. Okay?)
Then, the person who asks to write the next “link” in the “chain” should write a post in the next few days and leave a comment here with a link when that post has been published.
While comments and discussion can continue on this post, the chain will then jump to that next post and we will continue as I explained above. Hopefully, it will become clearer as we move forward.
If you write a post for the chain blog, you can title your post whatever you wan to call it. I simply ask that you include the rules of the chain blog (below) and a list of all the previous “links” in the chain blog.
So, here are rules in a format that is easy to copy and include in your posts:
Chain blog rules:
1) If you would like to write the next blog post (link) in this chain, leave a comment stating that you would like to do so. If someone else has already requested to write the next link, then please wait for that blog post and leave a comment there requesting to write the following link.
2) Feel free to leave comments here and discuss items in this blog post without taking part in the actual “chain”. Your comments and discussion are very important in this chain blog.
3) When you write a link in this chain, please reply in the comments of the previous post to let everyone know that your link is ready. Also, please try to keep an updated list of links in the chain at the bottom of your post, and please include these rules at the bottom of your post.
“Links” in this chain blog:
1. “Chain Blog: Dealing with Divisive Issues Introduction” by Alan
2. “Chain Blog: Dealing with divisive issues starts with love” by Arthur
3. “I am divisive” by Jeremy
4. “Chain Blog: Please agree with me” by Jon
5. “Division and our shared humanity” by Andy
6. “Chain Blog: solving the problem” by Bobby
7. “Divisiveness: Acts 2 & Ugly Carpet” by fallenpastor
8. “Stimulating our Collective Memory” by Trista
9. “No, we can’t just get along” by Alan
10. "Who says we are divided?" by Jon