Disclaimer: About This Blog

THIS BLOG IS: my personal journey of how I am rethinking some of my spiritual beliefs.
THIS BLOG IS NOT: intended to point fingers at people who I think are wrong.
I do not believe the final judgement will be based on how many correct answers we get on a theology exam. I believe many people throughout history have had genuine relationships with God, despite holding questionable beliefs and practices. I make no claim to having it all figured out or being your judge. If we end up disagreeing over these topics I pray we can find a way to demonstrate grace.

Monday, March 7, 2011

All Things to All People

Suppose I was in some tribal land where once a week they all gathered together and listened to one person give a great speech, and then they made music unique to their culture. What would I do?

Assuming there was nothing really wrong with what they were doing. I would want to go and do what they are doing, and try to fit in, so I could be Christ to the people in that community.

If I didn't go, I wouldn't fit in, and my impact to that people group would be limited.

So what does God want me to do with the traditional Sunday morning worship service? Considering the relationships God has brought into my life... I will try to be all things to all people (1 Corinthians 9:22). I'll try to fit in the best I can, just in case God wants to use me in this peculiar people group.

2 comments:

SagebrushFarm said...

amen!

Al said...

I had some rather similar thoughts a while back: http://al-muses.blogspot.com/2010/06/parable.html
I think going into someone else's culture and expecting them to change to mine is rather arrogant and misguided.
Much better to be like Christ who 'became flesh and blood and moved into the neighborhood'