Disclaimer: About This Blog

THIS BLOG IS: my personal journey of how I am rethinking some of my spiritual beliefs.
THIS BLOG IS NOT: intended to point fingers at people who I think are wrong.
I do not believe the final judgement will be based on how many correct answers we get on a theology exam. I believe many people throughout history have had genuine relationships with God, despite holding questionable beliefs and practices. I make no claim to having it all figured out or being your judge. If we end up disagreeing over these topics I pray we can find a way to demonstrate grace.

Saturday, November 13, 2010

N.T. Wright on Reformers Perspective of Scripture

N.T. Wright in The Last Word:

"If the Reformers could return and address us today, they would not say "We got it all right; you must follow our exegesis and theology and implement it precisely as it stands." What they would say is "You must follow our method: read and study scripture for all it's worth, and let it do its work in the world, in and through you and your churches" They would not be surprised if, as a result, we came up at some points with different, or differently nuanced, theological and practical proposals. They would encourage us to go where scripture led, using all the tools available to us, and being prepared to challenge all human traditions, including the "Reformation" traditions themselves, insofar as scripture itself encouraged us to do so."

I found this paragraph interesting. I have a picture of some of the early reformers thinking "The scripture is the final authority... as long as you read it the same as I do. Otherwise you are more of a heretic and danger than the Roman Catholic Church... so we will hunt you down and kill you".

But maybe N.T. Wright is Right. Ohh.. people must have fun with his name. Is Wright Right or is he NoT. Right.... I digress...

The Reformers did have a belief in semper reformanda (the church must always be reforming), so maybe many of them would be pleased with some of the questions we are asking of tradition, and how we are asking God to speak through scripture to guide us forward.

2 comments:

Al said...

I expect that the temptation is always there to think that 'I am the one who has finally got it all figured out, so follow me.' And perhaps we need to at least trust that we are going in the right direction, and follow our heart. And perhaps for their time, each reformer was moving in a good direction.

But I think Wright is right--we need to continue on, searching, applying, progressing.

Jonathan said...

Yes Al. I guess we need the faith to move forward with what revelation we understand. But be humble enough to not judge others. They may be wrong... but we may be too.

Thanks.