Disclaimer: About This Blog

THIS BLOG IS: my personal journey of how I am rethinking some of my spiritual beliefs.
THIS BLOG IS NOT: intended to point fingers at people who I think are wrong.
I do not believe the final judgement will be based on how many correct answers we get on a theology exam. I believe many people throughout history have had genuine relationships with God, despite holding questionable beliefs and practices. I make no claim to having it all figured out or being your judge. If we end up disagreeing over these topics I pray we can find a way to demonstrate grace.

Friday, October 8, 2010

Bless those who persecute you

Romans 12:14 (NIV)
"Bless those who persecute you; bless and do not curse."
Typically I've thought about this verse when thinking about non-Christians attacking me about my faith - which actually happens far less than I've feared.

However, this verse is surrounded by commands on how to relate to other members of Christ's body... interesting.

Was Paul talking about persecution in the early church - by other members in the church?

We know that Christians have persecuted each other throughout history. We get passionate about our beliefs, and don't like it when others disagree with us.

So this passage reminds me to be prepared to be attacked for my beliefs. The attack may come from outside Christ's church... but just as likely from within. My response either way needs to be one of love.

Romans 12:9-16 (NIV)
Love must be sincere. Hate what is evil; cling to what is good. Be devoted to one another in brotherly love. Honor one another above yourselves. Never be lacking in zeal, but keep your spiritual fervor, serving the Lord. Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, faithful in prayer. Share with God's people who are in need. Practice hospitality. Bless those who persecute you; bless and do not curse. Rejoice with those who rejoice; mourn with those who mourn. Live in harmony with one another. Do not be proud, but be willing to associate with people of low position. Do not be conceited.

Responding to persecution with love is not my natural response. I'll need to die to self, and let God reign.

1 comment:

Maher Family said...

Wow, great blog! This is something we all deal with daily...persecution. It is a difficult thing to overcome and to be the "bigger" person when dealing with it but we always need to remember first Jesus, and all that he suffered during his persecution, and also Paul, while he was imprisoned. Our family member Matt is in state prison doing time for his terrible decision to drink and drive (his blogs are found @ www.themattmaherstory.com) and while he is away he is still being persecuted day in and day out in our home town. Matt uses this so called "hometown hate" to fuel his faith and to push him forward in his daily walk with Christ.