Disclaimer: About This Blog

THIS BLOG IS: my personal journey of how I am rethinking some of my spiritual beliefs.
THIS BLOG IS NOT: intended to point fingers at people who I think are wrong.
I do not believe the final judgement will be based on how many correct answers we get on a theology exam. I believe many people throughout history have had genuine relationships with God, despite holding questionable beliefs and practices. I make no claim to having it all figured out or being your judge. If we end up disagreeing over these topics I pray we can find a way to demonstrate grace.

Saturday, March 20, 2010

If Martin Luther lived today

I just re-read Martin Luther's 95 Thesis. When I started My 95 Thesis series of posts I was thinking Luther was taking issue with 95 separate issues with the Roman Catholic church of his day. But it looks like this trigger point of the protestant reformation was basically one issue described in 95 points or sentences. Indulgences was the main issue Martin Luther wanted to start a dialog around.

So my logic around naming My 95 Thesis series is a bit flawed. I have more than one issue I'd like to see some dialog around today.

I also wonder... If Martin Luther lived today, would he still write something similar to his 95 Thesis?

I think it's safe to say the main points in Luther's 95 Thesis are no longer concerns in the Roman Catholic church. I think the counter reformation of the 1500's - 1600's addressed most of those concerns.

A Catholic friend of mine had never even heard of indulgences until an 'evangelical' friend of her's told her how wrong it was for her to believe such things. She had to go look it up to figure out what all the fuss was about.

The war on this battle line is over, but many of the troops haven't been informed.

Is there still a need to protest the Roman Catholic church? There are other differences that have emerged, but if they are big issues for you, wouldn't dialog be more constructive? ... and that is what Martin Luther originally desired.

Are there issues with the traditions of the protestants that should also discussed?

If someone was to protest the protesters... what would they be called?

No comments: