Disclaimer: About This Blog

THIS BLOG IS: my personal journey of how I am rethinking some of my spiritual beliefs.
THIS BLOG IS NOT: intended to point fingers at people who I think are wrong.
I do not believe the final judgement will be based on how many correct answers we get on a theology exam. I believe many people throughout history have had genuine relationships with God, despite holding questionable beliefs and practices. I make no claim to having it all figured out or being your judge. If we end up disagreeing over these topics I pray we can find a way to demonstrate grace.

Monday, February 1, 2010

People of the book

Did Jesus want His followers to be a people of the book?

If He did, why didn't he write a book and tell his followers to follow that book?

What did Jesus leave with us to give us guidance?

John 15:26 (NIV)
"When the Counselor comes, whom I will send to you from the Father, the Spirit of truth who goes out from the Father, he will testify about me. "
Acts 1:4-5 (NIV)
"Do not leave Jerusalem, but wait for the gift my Father promised, which you have heard me speak about. For John baptized with water, but in a few days you will be baptized with the Holy Spirit."
We are supposed to be people guided by the Holy Spirit that Jesus promised he would leave for us.

What do you think?

From my experience I feel more emphasis has been placed on following the book than following the Word of God that indwells us. By being a people of the book we can do a decent job at being religious. But the goal isn't to follow the book. The book isn't Lord. The book is there to introduce us to the King of Kings who wants to be Lord of our lives.... and we can be a people who follow the personal leading of our Lord.

No comments: