Disclaimer: About This Blog

THIS BLOG IS: my personal journey of how I am rethinking some of my spiritual beliefs.
THIS BLOG IS NOT: intended to point fingers at people who I think are wrong.
I do not believe the final judgement will be based on how many correct answers we get on a theology exam. I believe many people throughout history have had genuine relationships with God, despite holding questionable beliefs and practices. I make no claim to having it all figured out or being your judge. If we end up disagreeing over these topics I pray we can find a way to demonstrate grace.

Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Who's The Man

The man was given life by God.

The man was loved by God, every detail of his life was made just the way God saw best.

God made sure the man's environment was also an excellent place for the man to live.

God made provisions to take care of all of the mans needs.

God had great dreams and ambitions for the man.

But the man also had great dreams and ambitions for himself.

The man was faced with a choice.

Should he do what he wanted, or what God wanted.

The man wanted to be in charge of his own life, he was confident he'd be OK on his own.

So the man did what he wanted.

This was a mistake, there were consequences to follow.

The man no longer got to live in the perfect environment God had set up for him.

The man had to work harder to take care of his own needs.

Work was hard for the man.

God still loved the man, and provided for the man, but over the years the man frequently chose to do what he wanted and ignore what God wanted.

The man and God had an on and off relationship. Things always worked out best for the man when he did what God wanted, but the man often let his own desires get in the way of God's desires.

.... and they lived happily ever after. :)

-------------

So the question is: Who's the man?
There is a similar story in Genesis where our Bibles translate 'The Man' to the name 'Adam'.

However the man in this story also tells my story.

Is the story in Genesis a story of a man that fell from being good to being evil... and now the rest of us are now born in this evil state.

Is it the story of the fall of just one man? Or is it also a story that all of mankind repeats over and over again?

Unfortunately I often choose to be 'The Man'.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I believe that it's both.
Paul talks about how by one man, all mankind were spoiled by the sin.
But thank God, that by One Man, all might be delivered from "self government" and brought into the Kingdom of God!

Jonathan said...

Yes, I think both.
I'd just never realized how similar this story of 'the man' Adam was to my story.

God bless!