Disclaimer: About This Blog

THIS BLOG IS: my personal journey of how I am rethinking some of my spiritual beliefs.
THIS BLOG IS NOT: intended to point fingers at people who I think are wrong.
I do not believe the final judgement will be based on how many correct answers we get on a theology exam. I believe many people throughout history have had genuine relationships with God, despite holding questionable beliefs and practices. I make no claim to having it all figured out or being your judge. If we end up disagreeing over these topics I pray we can find a way to demonstrate grace.

Friday, November 20, 2009

Playdough Scripture Rev 20:10

"And the devil, who deceived them, was thrown into the lake of burning sulfur, where the beast and the false prophet, and everyone who is not a Christian had been thrown. They will be tormented day and night for ever and ever."

Revelation 20:10 (Playdough Version)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i think you need to be really careful in your "proof texting" in your playdough scriptures jon...

scripture always supports scripture and we need to look at all of scripture in it's entire context to hear GOD. to take one verse and "suggest" that people have gotten it wrong over the centuries, could be quite deceptive.

Matt. 25:41 “Then he will say to those on his left, Depart from me, you cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels.

Jonathan said...

Thanks Steve. Yes I've considered Matt 25:41 in this process.

My point here is that Rev 20:10 is frequently used to support the idea of the wicked being tormented for eternity. But this verse may not say anything about the eternal torment of mortals.

I think Matt 25:31-46 gives the best support to the idea of eternal punishment in hell. However with so many other verses that speak of destruction, death, second death, perish... If we allow scripture to interpret scripture, Matt 25:41 could mean the wicked perish as they are sent into the eternal fire. The punishment will be eternal, a final cutting off. Eternal punishment can mean the outcome is eternal, not necessarily the process (as in Heb 6:2 eternal judgment does not mean the process of judging will last for eternity).