Disclaimer: About This Blog

THIS BLOG IS: my personal journey of how I am rethinking some of my spiritual beliefs.
THIS BLOG IS NOT: intended to point fingers at people who I think are wrong.
I do not believe the final judgement will be based on how many correct answers we get on a theology exam. I believe many people throughout history have had genuine relationships with God, despite holding questionable beliefs and practices. I make no claim to having it all figured out or being your judge. If we end up disagreeing over these topics I pray we can find a way to demonstrate grace.

Thursday, November 19, 2009

Do you support torture?

I don't live in the U.S. but here's a story that saddens me. I think it's a sad reflection of a people who should be living as a reflection of God's love.

More than half of people who attend services at least once a week -- 54 percent -- said the use of torture against suspected terrorists is "often" or "sometimes" justified. Only 42 percent of people who "seldom or never" go to services agreed, according to the analysis released Wednesday by the Pew Forum on Religion & Public Life.

White evangelical Protestants were the religious group most likely to say torture is often or sometimes justified -- more than six in 10 supported it. People unaffiliated with any religious organization were least likely to back it. Only four in 10 of them did.

http://edition.cnn.com/2009/US/04/30/religion.torture/index.html

More than 60% of people who attend 'Evangelical' churches at least once a week say torture is often or sometimes justified against suspected terrorists.

Only 42% of people who seldom or never go to church believed the same.

How could this statistic be true? Why could people who know the love of Christ, who have used the phrase "what would Jesus do", support torturing suspected terrorists?

Could the way they view the work of the cross play into it. They see God torturing and killing His own Son....

Or does the idea of double predestination and the traditional view of Hell play into thinking that since God has chosen those who will remain unsaved and He plans to torture them for eternity... it must be OK for us to do the same here too with those who are obviously unsaved.

:(

God I pray that your people would get a personal glimpse of who you are, and portray that image to a broken world.

No comments: