Disclaimer: About This Blog

THIS BLOG IS: my personal journey of how I am rethinking some of my spiritual beliefs.
THIS BLOG IS NOT: intended to point fingers at people who I think are wrong.
I do not believe the final judgement will be based on how many correct answers we get on a theology exam. I believe many people throughout history have had genuine relationships with God, despite holding questionable beliefs and practices. I make no claim to having it all figured out or being your judge. If we end up disagreeing over these topics I pray we can find a way to demonstrate grace.

Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Why did Jesus Come?

I figure this is an important question to consider. Why did Jesus come to earth 2000 years ago? Understanding His purpose and mission should give us a better understanding of our Lord.

So I tried to collect the different verses where Jesus describes why he came.

To preach the good news of the kingdom of God
But he said, "I must preach the good news of the kingdom of God to the other towns also, because that is why I was sent." Luke 4:43 (NIV)
To speak the truth - that he is king.
Pilate then went back inside the palace, summoned Jesus and asked him, "Are you the king of the Jews?"

"Is that your own idea," Jesus asked, "or did others talk to you about me?"

"Am I a Jew?" Pilate replied. "It was your people and your chief priests who handed you over to me. What is it you have done?"

Jesus said, "My kingdom is not of this world. If it were, my servants would fight to prevent my arrest by the Jews. But now my kingdom is from another place."

"You are a king, then!" said Pilate.
Jesus answered, "You are right in saying I am a king. In fact, for this reason I was born, and for this I came into the world, to testify to the truth. Everyone on the side of truth listens to me."
John 18:33-37 (NIV)
Seek and save the lost
"For the Son of Man came to seek and to save what was lost." Luke 19:10 (NIV)
To save the world
"For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son,that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him. John 3:16-17 (NIV)
To give life
The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full. John 10:10 (NIV)
Do His father's will - give eternal life
For I have come down from heaven not to do my will but to do the will of him who sent me. And this is the will of him who sent me, that I shall lose none of all that he has given me, but raise them up at the last day. For my Father's will is that everyone who looks to the Son and believes in him shall have eternal life, and I will raise him up at the last day." John 6:38-40 (NIV)
To be a light
"I have come into the world as a light, so that no one who believes in me should stay in darkness." John 12:46 (NIV)
Jesus is King. That is the truth. God rules in our lives, and in our world, now and for eternity. He came to let us know about His Kingdom, and that we can be part of it. He came to be a light, so we can see the truth and believe the truth. Those who believe and submit to God's rule instead of their selfish sin, will not perish, but have eternal life.

No comments: