Disclaimer: About This Blog

THIS BLOG IS: my personal journey of how I am rethinking some of my spiritual beliefs.
THIS BLOG IS NOT: intended to point fingers at people who I think are wrong.
I do not believe the final judgement will be based on how many correct answers we get on a theology exam. I believe many people throughout history have had genuine relationships with God, despite holding questionable beliefs and practices. I make no claim to having it all figured out or being your judge. If we end up disagreeing over these topics I pray we can find a way to demonstrate grace.

Friday, May 22, 2009

Playdough Scripture Rom 14:1-8

"Accept him whose faith is weak, without passing judgment on ancient disputable matters. One man's faith allows him to eat everything, but another man, whose faith is weak, eats only vegetables. The man who eats everything must not look down on him who does not, and the man who does not eat everything must not condemn the man who does, for God has accepted him. Who are you to judge someone else's servant on such ancient disputable matters? To his own master he stands or falls. And he will stand, for the Lord is able to make him stand.

But feel free to judge on current disputable matters like:
  • praying to the saints
  • too much emphasis on works
  • too much emphasis on faith
  • the role of women in ministry
  • drinking
  • dancing
  • reading books like 'The Shack'
  • stay at home dads
  • which denomination is best
  • infant baptism
  • salvation
  • or on anything you think is an essential truth
One man considers one day more sacred than another; another man considers every day alike. Each one should be fully convinced in his own mind. He who regards one day as special, does so to the Lord. He who eats meat, eats to the Lord, for he gives thanks to God; and he who abstains, does so to the Lord and gives thanks to God. For none of us lives to himself alone and none of us dies to himself alone. If we live, we live to the Lord; and if we die, we die to the Lord. So, whether we live or die, we belong to the Lord.

But feel free to make a huge list of doctrines that you feel are essential to the faith. And if anyone questions any of those, feel free to judge and exclude them."

Rom 14:1-8 (Playdough Version)

Playdough Scripture is great! You can squish and reshape it to fit into any box! Try it yourself! Fun for the whole family of God. :)

2 comments:

Bryan Riley said...

Nicely done and nicely named. Reminds me of Alan Knox's series. It's unfortunately funny because it is so sadly true.

Jonathan said...

Thanks Bryan for the comment. Yes it similar to what Alan Knox has done with his Scripture as We Live It posts. I emailed Alan Knox to make sure he wouldn't sue me if I did something similar. :) He was glad I wanted to do something similar.

As I read scripture I keep coming across verses that don't fit too well in the theological box that I'm familiar with. So there's Playdough Scripture to the rescue!
Just squish and reshape scripture to fit into your box.

:)