Disclaimer: About This Blog

THIS BLOG IS: my personal journey of how I am rethinking some of my spiritual beliefs.
THIS BLOG IS NOT: intended to point fingers at people who I think are wrong.
I do not believe the final judgement will be based on how many correct answers we get on a theology exam. I believe many people throughout history have had genuine relationships with God, despite holding questionable beliefs and practices. I make no claim to having it all figured out or being your judge. If we end up disagreeing over these topics I pray we can find a way to demonstrate grace.

Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Responsibility of the Wealthy




I'm still pondering what the deal was with Jesus saying He came to preach good news to the poor. And I'm still wondering what my response should be as one who has been blessed.

Jesus gave some hard teaching regarding wealth. Some verses are extremely difficult to follow, I'll get to those in future posts.

But first I want to look at some verses that seem easier to follow, yet I'm afraid I'm still not living these well either.

2 Corinthians 9:10-12
"Now he who supplies seed to the sower and bread for food will also supply and increase your store of seed and will enlarge the harvest of your righteousness. You will be made rich in every way so that you can be generous on every occasion, and through us your generosity will result in thanksgiving to God. This service that you perform is not only supplying the needs of God's people but is also overflowing in many expressions of thanks to God." (NIV)

1 Timothy 6:17-18
"Command those who are rich in this present world not to be arrogant nor to put their hope in wealth, which is so uncertain, but to put their hope in God, who richly provides us with everything for our enjoyment. Command them to do good, to be rich in good deeds, and to be generous and willing to share."(NIV)
This should be a starting point for all Christ followers who have been blessed (who have more than enough food in their homes). We should not put our hope in wealth, but in God. We should be rich in good deeds, and generous in every occasion and willing to share.

I'm not living here yet... I find security in budgeting and financial planning. I need to find a way to blend my habits of budgeting and being a responsible steward of what God has blessed us with, yet allow spontaneous giving to alter my financial plans to line up with God's plans for my finances.

No comments: